LEMON DRIZZLE CAKE RECIPE
Looking for something fun to do the next few weeks? Try making a delicious Lemon Drizzle cake (including a gluten free recipe). Post a picture of you with your great bake on your Facebook page and tag @MedtronicDiabetesUKandIreland
Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g self -raising flour
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
For the Drizzle topping:
- Juice of 1 and a half lemons
- 85g caster sugar
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Beat together 225g softened unsalted butter and 225g caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through.
- Sift in 225g self-raising flour, then add the finely grated zest of 1 lemon and mix until well combined.
- Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the juice of 1 ½ lemons and 85g caster sugar to make the drizzle.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
- Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve. Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
Nutrition: per slice
|Fat||21g (of which saturated 13g)|
|Carbs||50g (of which is sugars 33g)|
Gluten Free Lemon Drizzle Cake
200g butter, softened
200g golden caster sugar
175g ground almond
250g mashed potato
3 lemon zest
2tsp gluten free baking powder
For the drizzle:
4tbsp granulated sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas.
- Butter and line a deep, 20cm round cake tin.
- Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, then gradually add the egg, beating after each addition.
- Fold in the almonds, cold mashed potato, lemon zest and baking powder.
- Tip into the tin, level the top.
- Bake for 40-45 mins or until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a wire rack after 10 mins cooling.
- While the cake is cooling, mix the granulated sugar and the lemon juice together, then spoon over the top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides. Let the cake cool completely before slicing.
Nutrition: per serving
|Fat||36g (of which is saturated 2 g)|
|Carbs||41g (of which is sugars 35g)|