Many people with Type 1 diabetes may benefit from an insulin pump without even knowing it. In general if they experience any of the following, they could achieve better control with an insulin pump:
- Concerns about long-term complications
- The first symptoms of long term complications
- Fear of needles
- Difficulty in managing highs and lows
- Fear of hypoglycaemia, especially at night
- HbA1c outside target range
- Reduced hypoglycaemia awareness
- Seeking more flexibility in everyday life
The best way to stay within a healthy glucose range is to self-monitor blood glucose (SMBG) at least 4 times per day and make adjustments to the insulin as needed. The MiniMed® 640G insulin pump, with the use of the Bolus Wizard®, can make these calculations and adjustments to help improve glucose control.
Talk to your physician about insulin pump therapy and whether it may be right for you.
ADDITIONAL OPTIONS AVAILABLE WITH THE MINIMED® 640G INSULIN PUMP
The MiniMed 640G insulin pump is also available with the additional integrated options of continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) and CareLink™ Therapy Management Software.
When coupled with CGM, the MiniMed 640G insulin pump is currently the only insulin pump with the SmartGuard® feature which may help reduce the impact of hypoglycaemia*. If glucose levels fall dangerously low, SmartGuard can predict when you are approaching lows 30 minutes in advance and automatically stop insulin delivery. When your glucose levels recover, it will automatically resume insulin delivery. This could be a big advantage over SMBG because the MiniMed Integrated System alerts you prior to crossing pre-set threshold limits, as well as showing current glucose trends
- * References are kept on file and are available on request; please contact your local Medtronic representative for copies.